My Secrets to Smooth & Bright Underarm

tips-smooth-bright-underarm

Funny because every time I do this pose on Facebook and Instagram, some friends and subscribers do message me asking how I manage to keep my underarm looking smooth, bump-free and bright.  While I wouldn’t consider my pits as the poster child for smoothness, I think I did a good job giving them real TLC. So today, I will be revealing my secrets, all practical and rational approach that I have been practicing in years.

I never waxed, tweezed or used epilators to remove underarm hair. Pulling hairs not only cause ingrown (especially waxing!) but the constant tugging and pulling creates unsightly dark or irritated lines and creases. Ingrown hair and irritated lines instantly make your armpit look dark and bumpy.

I only use natural underarm deodorants. I think most of us are aware that chemical-laden deodorants, while maybe good in controlling sweat, can actually cause irritation and hyperpigmentation as a consequence (read tips on how to get rid of hyperpigmentation). Sweating is our body’s way of flushing out toxin so unless you suffer from hyperhidrosis (medical terminology for excessive sweating) which greatly affects you having quality of life, sweating is okay. Hyperhidrosis can be managed medically and/or aesthetically via use of neuromodulators (I will talk about it in a separate topic).

I exfoliate and/or detox once a week. This is perhaps the easiest thing to do without spending a fortune because I use the same scrub and clay mask I apply for my face. Yes, you read it right. If you have minor discoloration (dark spots), I say use the same glycolic acid or Vitamin C you use on your face, it will serve the same purpose. Just understand that this method will not give you dramatic results overnight. It could be months or even longer.

Laser hair removal is my ultimate secret! As some of you know, I am an Aesthetic Registered Nurse Laser Specialist so it’s safe to assume that I use myself as an example when presenting the benefits of laser for hair reduction, including underarm brightening to my patients. Note that those with dark and thick hair get optimal results and depending on the type of laser (or intense pulse light) used, about 80% of hairs that are treated in their active phase will be dormant (meaning won’t grow back) in 2-3 months. This is not carved in stone but with my personal, including those of my patients, hair regrowth is somewhere around that timeline. Each clinic has their own protocol of course (again depending on type of laser used) but one thing is standard, you do need to have minimum of 6-8 treatments. In a nutshell, laser targets the pigment of the hair follicle which then emits heat creating “controlled damage” leading to stunted growth. When there is no hair regrowth, there is no stubble or dark pulp, which then consequentially “clears” the skin, making it look bright and radiant. Consider not having to shave or wax in months, isn’t that a relief overall?

how-to-white-underarms

Okay enough of my armpits showcase, I know you had enough for the day, haha! But tell me, how do you take care of your own underarms?

Shop my look

This post contains affiliate link or press samples

1. June 25, 2018 / 10:36 am

I IPL-ed off mine a couple of years ago, and it even helped control perspiration, but hate my skin there. I have to try Vit C, though I bet the 20% I use will BURN first!

2. June 25, 2018 / 11:05 am

These are great tips! I only use natural deodorants too!

3. June 25, 2018 / 11:23 am

Laser Hair Removal is the best! Though I like getting my underarms waxed too.

4. June 25, 2018 / 12:57 pm

I’m guessing if you use glycolic acid you should probably make sure to thoroughly sunscreen your under arms to prevent burning. These are all great tips, many of which I had no idea about.

June 25, 2018 / 6:08 pm

If it’s your first time, just like with the face, use sparingly and test patch first

5. June 25, 2018 / 1:39 pm

I’m so lucky to have lost all mine due to hypothyroid. I’m not mad at it at all for that.

6. June 25, 2018 / 5:27 pm

How interesting and informative, Kathryne! I always learn so much from so many of your posts. As I’v gotten older my hair doesn’t grow as fast and it has become less pigmented. So I shave and it seems fine for me. I switched to natural deo a couple of years ago and it’s worked well for me. But I had no idea you could use facial skincare products on your armpits!

June 25, 2018 / 6:06 pm

Hi Allison, thanks so much! Certainly you can use. It’s funny because there are new products lately harping on underarm detox but if you read the ingredients, they are the same as what you may already have.

7. June 25, 2018 / 5:43 pm

It’s too bad that the best way to be so smooth is laser. It would be nice if we could use a product that wasn’t so expensive. Living in Hawaii though I’m sure it’s a good investment.

June 25, 2018 / 6:07 pm

Laser isn’t really that expensive, I mean if you think about all the savings you can get by not buying all the products that promise the moon but to no avail

8. June 25, 2018 / 5:51 pm

I’ve actually heard about using BHAs or AHAs as an alternative deodorant and not just for hyperpigmentation

June 25, 2018 / 6:08 pm

Yes you’re right!!!

9. June 25, 2018 / 6:04 pm

I use natural deodorants too.

10. June 25, 2018 / 6:26 pm

I recently started using the Silk’n Infinity device for at home laser hair removal and it’s pretty much gotten rid of my underarm hair. I love not having to shave my armpits, especially now that it’s summer.

June 25, 2018 / 7:30 pm

Yeah, I don’t like the hassle of shaving as well

11. June 25, 2018 / 6:28 pm

I haven’t had much luck with natural deodorants. I break out in a bad rash with all the ones I’ve tried. 🙁 I want to try laser, but am so scared. I’m too chicken. LOL

June 25, 2018 / 7:31 pm

Laser doesn’t hurt. It only feels like tiny snaps, pain 1/10 if that will help you try it.

12. June 25, 2018 / 7:22 pm

Your underarms are super smooth! I don’t do anything special to mine. I’d love to get them laserd though!

June 25, 2018 / 7:31 pm

You will love laser!

13. June 25, 2018 / 7:34 pm

I’ve been thinking of getting laser hair removal, and I think you might have convinced me to follow through and do it! I exfoliate with my gentle body scrubs in the shower and I’ve noticed a big improvement since I started!

June 25, 2018 / 8:18 pm

Hi Jen, as long as you have dark hairs, you will get optimal results w/ laser.

14. June 25, 2018 / 7:51 pm

I’m using a home laser system right now and while I probably won’t see full results until December, you were actually my motivation for doing it! I’ve never really thought of my armpits until I saw one of your IG posts and you mentioned laser hair removal. I never thought about using a scrub or mask before though and may start that too!

June 25, 2018 / 8:17 pm

Hi Krystal. Thanks so much! I’d be interested to know your full results, what’s the home laser you’re using?

15. 25 Sweetpeas
    June 26, 2018 / 5:15 am

Great tips, no heard of all of these!

16. June 26, 2018 / 12:04 pm

I’m looking into laser hair removal too, especially since I’m SO prone to ingrowns!

17. Tasha
    June 26, 2018 / 5:30 pm

Oh wow! I have hyperpigmetation on my underarms, never thought it could be caused by my deodorant. I will definitely be looking into switching.

June 26, 2018 / 5:58 pm

Hi Tasha. That’s one of the possible causes. I also advice my patients to check for ingredients

18. June 26, 2018 / 7:33 pm

I’ve tried laser hair removal, but unfortunately it didn’t work well for me. I guess my hair isn’t quite dark enough. I’ve done about 10 sessions and there’s basically no difference. I actually got more thinning of the hair when I was doing waxing exclusively for about 5 years, but when I stopped and switched back to shaving most of it slowly came back.

June 26, 2018 / 9:58 pm

It depends on the brand of laser and who’s doing the procedure. But yes, if your hairs are not dark enough, you should’ve been told right off the bat that laser won’t work for you.

19. Madhubani
    June 27, 2018 / 10:55 am

Amazing tips.. And you are truly beautiful Kathryne 🙂

June 27, 2018 / 11:00 am

Thanks so much, you’re so sweet

20. June 27, 2018 / 4:11 pm

Great tips!!! Once summer is over I am going to get back on my at home laser removal. I need to give the natural deodorant a try too!

21. June 29, 2018 / 10:26 am

Love these amazing tips. I’ll have to try exfoliating and detoxing once a week.