Why vegan? how to transition to vegan diet? how about protein and calcium? do you lose weight on vegan diet? these are just some of the most common questions I get asked pertaining to my lifestyle. For today’s video, I further elaborated my ten-year journey. Please feel free to share if you find it helpful or you know someone who’s considering to embark on this healthy and compassionate lifestyle.
I am vegan for health reasons. I can’t tell you enough how much I have benefited from it. More than physical transformation (see my before/after), plants keep me young, energetic and fit. Most of all, it helped address my migraines, joint pains, bleeding issues, acne, lactose intolerance, among others. What you see now as a 43-year-old woman is completely different a decade ago. I am vegan for animals. Every time I see this beautiful creature, I am reminded of my deep compassion for animals. Hence, I made a huge decision to be vegan not only in the food I eat but also in products I buy, use or wear. If you know me, I was once a slave to designer luxury brands but I faced my fear of knowing the truth, cried a river for my past mistakes, and never looked back. My lifestyle is fully aligned now, just the way I envisioned it, vegan and free from cruelty.
Here are other things I learned althrougout this journey:
1. Veganism is a journey. No one is born vegan unless your forefathers are.
2. Protein is abundant in plants. And calcium too! There are hundreds of clinical studies that support this fact. Here are your most common sources of protein and calcium.
3. Vegan food isn’t bland and boring. Don’t know where to start? cook the same way but omit meat, dairy, poultry.
4. You can potentially reverse whatever chronic conditions like diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, depression, anxiety, cancer, etc you have or may have. We are all born with faulty genes but our lifestyle choices can trigger or reverse those. There are plenty of clinical studies that support this fact. Follow medical doctors who believe in the power of plants like Dr Michael Greger from @nutrition_facts_org , @drgarthdavis , @dr_esselstyn and a lot more for guidance.
5. You will never ever have to diet or subscribe to any weight loss program when you are vegan! Weight loss is possible but only when you are eating the right stuff and variety of vegetables and fruits.
6. You can help reshape our planet and fight climate change when you switch to vegan. Deforestation and greenhouse gas emissions largely contribute to this serious environmental problem.
7. Vegans come in all sizes and shapes. Stop the stereotyping.
8. Vegans are happy and positive people. Knowing that I am doing the right thing for myself translates that positivity and happy disposition when I deal with people.