Why Vegan? How To Transition To Vegan Diet?

How to be vegan

Why vegan? how to transition to vegan diet? how about protein and calcium? do you lose weight on vegan diet? these are just some of the most common questions I get asked pertaining to my lifestyle. For today’s video, I further elaborated my ten-year journey. Please feel free to share if you find it helpful or you know someone who’s considering to embark on this healthy and compassionate lifestyle.

I am vegan for health reasons. I can’t tell you enough how much I have benefited from it. More than physical transformation (see my before/after), plants keep me young, energetic and fit. Most of all, it  helped address my migraines, joint pains, bleeding issues, acne, lactose intolerance, among others. What you see now as a 43-year-old woman is completely different a decade ago. I am vegan for animals. Every time I see this beautiful creature, I am reminded of my deep compassion for animals. Hence, I made a huge decision to be vegan not only in the food I eat but also in products I buy, use or wear. If you know me, I was once a slave to designer luxury brands but I faced my fear of knowing the truth, cried a river for my past mistakes, and never looked back. My lifestyle is fully aligned now, just the way I envisioned it, vegan and free from cruelty.

vegan for animals

Here are other things I learned althrougout this journey:

1. Veganism is a journey. No one is born vegan unless your forefathers are.
2. Protein is abundant in plants. And calcium too! There are hundreds of clinical studies that support this fact. Here are your most common sources of protein and calcium.
3. Vegan food isn’t bland and boring. Don’t know where to start? cook the same way but omit meat, dairy, poultry.
4. You can potentially reverse whatever chronic conditions like diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, depression, anxiety, cancer, etc you have or may have. We are all born with faulty genes but our lifestyle choices can trigger or reverse those. There are plenty of clinical studies that support this fact. Follow medical doctors who believe in the power of plants like Dr Michael Greger from @nutrition_facts_org , @drgarthdavis , @dr_esselstyn and a lot more for guidance.
5. You will never ever have to diet or subscribe to any weight loss program when you are vegan! Weight loss is possible but only when you are eating the right stuff and variety of vegetables and fruits.
6. You can help reshape our planet and fight climate change when you switch to vegan. Deforestation and greenhouse gas emissions largely contribute to this serious environmental problem.
7. Vegans come in all sizes and shapes. Stop the stereotyping.
8. Vegans are happy and positive people. Knowing that I am doing the right thing for myself translates that positivity and happy disposition when I deal with people.

It’s Veganuary, please read my complete 101 transition guide. Finally, watch my video below for the Q+A.

1. January 9, 2018 / 9:53 am

What a beautiful and wonderfully informative post. I applaud your decision to choose to embrace a full vegan lifestyle.

• thefabzilla
      Author
      January 9, 2018 / 10:25 am

Thank you! What made me feel accomplished was when my husband turned vegan last year

2. January 9, 2018 / 10:59 am

You haven’t met my cousin, Kathryne, a not so happy and positive vegan, lol! But yes, the health and environmental benefits are certainly key benefits to making the switch. Brava!

• thefabzilla
      Author
      January 9, 2018 / 11:28 am

Haha that made me laugh! Maybe let your cuz read this.

3. Kim
    January 9, 2018 / 5:48 pm

I love this! I haven’t yet made the full transition to being vegan, but I’ve been a vegetarian for about 7 months. Luckily, my husband and I decided to switch at the same time, so it’s been painless in that regard.

• thefabzilla
      Author
      January 9, 2018 / 7:11 pm

Happy to know you’re on board. My husband just went vegan last year after years of convincing. He just went cold turkey. It’s a journey, I have the 101 post on how to transition. Cheers to good health for you and your husband

4. January 9, 2018 / 7:11 pm

My ex-husband became a vegan in 1998. No one had heard of it, there were no vegan restaurants or options at the market.Vegans now are so lucky to have so many choices.

• thefabzilla
      Author
      January 9, 2018 / 7:55 pm

Super agree with you! Back then, being vegan sounds so foreign. I wish Hawaii would have more options because I can only think of one place near me that’s offering vegan options

5. January 9, 2018 / 11:37 pm

Thank you for sharing your advice. I struggle the most with finding recipes I like for vegetarian and vegan cooking.

• thefabzilla
      Author
      January 10, 2018 / 9:35 am

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I’m happy you are considering to transition!

6. January 10, 2018 / 8:05 am

You are an inspiration, Kath! I am also trying to become fully vegan for health reasons. Here’s hoping 2018 will be the year when I transition from plant-based to vegan.

• thefabzilla
      Author
      January 10, 2018 / 9:34 am

I’m so happy to read this! Yes to transitioning! If my ultimate carnivore husband did it last year, you can do it! I’m excited for you

7. January 10, 2018 / 8:47 pm

Wow this is more informative than a lot of vegan articles I’ve read!

8. January 11, 2018 / 9:11 am

I hadn’t heard of Veganuary. Cute idea to get people into trying it out.