Today’s post is about beating holiday bulge. This Thursday officially marks the start of holiday eating, the season of excuses to indulge, be merry and forget about diet and exercise. But please don’t! Today I am joining forces with my fellow beauty and lifestyle bloggers (linked below) to help you stay on track or jumpstart your fitness goal. Why wait for the new year if you can start now, procrastination is the biggest enemy to living healthy.
(1) If you are attending a party, eat healthy snacks before you leave home such as protein bar, carrot or celery sticks, vegan cookie, nuts or a small bowl of salad. This will help you curb your appetite and prevent over-indulging when you’re at the party.
(2) Drink water before and in between meals. This will fill you up. Ditch the soda my friend. One 330 ml can of Coke has a staggering 9 teaspoons of sugar (reference 1 tsp per 4 gms sugar). Be wary of sugar that is disguised behind many names. Can you believe it’s called 61 different ways? Top of mind are fructose, sucrose, dextrose, maltose, barley malt, cane juice, cane sugar, corn syrup, etc.
(3) If you are the hostess, you are in control of what you can feed your guests. There are plenty of vegan and vegetarian recipes that taste thousand times better than traditional and high-cholesterol, high-sugar and high-salt foods! Mind you, your guests are not going to die without meat in sight for 4 hours of partying. I know it sounds brutal but it’s true! Why not have a theme for your party and for once, introduce your lovely guests to the wonderful, tasteful, and healthy plant-based holiday food. Need some recipes? if you like fancy vegan/vegetarian meals, follow AvanteGardeVegan on YouTube or if you like everyday food (think donuts, hotdogs, burgers, etc) cooked vegan way, watch Mary’s Test Kitchen also on YouTube.
(4) Exercise! The cold weather makes it hard to get off our butts and sweat but you have come this far (or you are already bent on changing your sedentary lifestyle) so why allow yourself fall off the wagon? The hardest thing about exercise is not the routine itself but the motivation to do it. There are plenty of exercises available for free in YouTube, that saves you a whole lot of money! Read my fitness essentials.
(5) Get a fitness buddy. I’m 100% sure you have at least one friend who’s into fitness and healthy lifestyle or wants to start one. Keep each other in check, go to the gym together, run together, go to the farmers’ market together. There is strength in numbers.
(6) Buy cute fitness wear and rock that body! I know it sounds super trivial but instead of buying makeups or a new purse this holiday season for yourself (or loved one), why not switch it up for really cute and fun fitness wear? I feel good exercising when I know I look cute in my sports bra, harem pants, leggings or capris. It makes me sweat more if that even makes sense to you.
(7) Reward yourself. If you are trying to lose weight, set a goal and reward yourself once you reach that goal. Make the reward so attractive that it will motivate you to keep pushing yourself. I am not talking about a venti Starbucks caramel brulee frappucino that has 530 calories, 16 grams saturated fat, 84 grams sugar (21 teaspoons sugar!!!!). Think new wardrobe, out-of-town trip, body skin tightening, anything that will further boost your confidence and stamina.
Check out these amazing tips from my fitness buddies!
31 thoughts on “How To Beat Holiday Bulge In 7 Ways”
Excellent tips! I’m switching to my treadmill instead of jogging outdoors in the cold except on nice sunny days when it’s nice to breathe the fresh air!
That's awesome! I also have treadmill at home that I use in between cardio hiphop
I seriously need to get some new workout clothes. The ones I have are frumpy looking. I gained some weight with a new job and relationship. I like to call it my happy weight. Now, I get to spend the next several months getting the happy weight off. Luckily, he agreed to be my fitness buddy. Having a partner helps keep you motivated, for sure.
Yes to fitness buddy. My husband is also into fitness so that makes him my buddy 🙂 Yes, time to get new cute workout clothes
Having a fitness buddy truly helped me and kept me in line with my goals! And yes to cute fitness wear!!
Yes! I am doing a fitness haul pretty soon 🙂
What fantastic, and helpful, tips Kath! Being mindful of what you are eating and drinking can be difficult during all of the holiday parties and festivities!
I agree. We are what we eat and do. Eat but don't feast as I lovingly tell my patients during the holiday season
Drinking water is absolutely key and working out is also essential. I agree with your suggestions and wish you a lovely Thanksgiving 🙂
I enjoyed reading everyone's posts and I am happy with your own journey!!!! Take care and happy thanksgiving too
Drinking lots of water is always a lifesaver!
indeed. Happy Thanksgiving
I just surrender to the holidays.
But I was bulgey before the holidays! Haha.
haha, you got me there, funny woman!
Nice round up of healthy posts. This next month plus is so laden with calories~
I need to find a fitness buddy. I'm a member of a gym, but my husband hates the classes and I love them. I've gone to a few and I feel so lonely and weird going on my own. I need like a "dating app" for women looking for a friend to gym with. LOL
Wouldn't it be nice to have that app? it's so much fun to find fitness buddies. Hey, you better trademark that idea!!!!
I really like the idea of new workout clothes and saving up for a reward!
Yes, cute workout clothes are my jam.
Great tips! I think little rewards along the way are a good idea.
These are great tips! I need to figure out a good reward system for myself since that is the hardest art. I need something good but still attainable for when I reach my goals.
Great tips. New workout gear always inspires me to get working so I can wear it more often.
So many useful tips! I always gain weight after all those plum/rum n raisin/fruit and nut cakes over Christmas 🙁
These are really great tips. I'm usually one to just do whatever I want during the holidays, but I should try to do better, haha.
This is definitely a difficult time of year to stay in shape, but these are some fabulous tips!
Water! Always water!
I love all of your tips! We both love cute workout clothes. <3
Wonderful tips! Now I need to find me a fitness buddy 🙂
Great tips! I need to find the motivation to work out this season!