BURBERRY EYE COLOUR CREAM | A Tale of Defective Shade & Why I’m Not Repurchasing

burberry beauty, tom ford color eye cream, burberry eye color cream, review, swatch, dusky mauve, mink

I love cream eyeshadows so when I spotted these Burberry Eye Colour Cream at Nordies, I immediately purchased two shades online for road-testing. But lo, my excitement was rather short-lived and my adrenalin rush was cut short by this horrific sighting!

fall 2015 makeup collection burberry, burberry eye color cream, review, swatch, dusky mauve, mink

Was this swatched by some dirty-handed humanoid? squished and played with then returned without remorse? utterly disgusted, I flipped the jar to check the name of this defective shade (Mink), only to stir the angst. Ha, the entire product fell from the jar, #productfail at its finest! So I called Nordstrom immediately and reported the issue. “Oh it’s a common occurrence for cream eyeshadows, I’ve seen that happened with Chanel and Dior, beauty advisor said”. You can return it and we’ll issue a refund or replace it if you want”. I made the decision: return and refund Mink.

burberry fall winter 2015 makeup, burberry eye color cream, review, swatch, dusky mauve, mink

While I absolutely love its signature chic plaid design, I am not convinced to repurchase anything from this new collection because the overall quality is sub par. I understand that they are supposed to give sheer wash of color, ‘kinda like your everyday neutral but really, Dusky Mauve is so sheer you need to patiently reapply it to build the intensity to your liking. Initially it was easy to swipe it straight out from the jar (either with ring finger or shader brush) but on the third or fourth day, I found myself really digging into the product for pigment. It didn’t matter whether it’s applied dry or wet, the level of intensity is not mind-blowing as my ultimate fave Tom Ford Cream Eye Colour. The wear time is about 5-6 hours with slight creasing, again whether used on its own, applied over eye primer, or as base for powder eye shadow.

burberry winter fall 2015 makeup collection, burberry eye color cream, review, swatch, dusky mauve, mink
Heavily swatched without primer

eye makeup taupe, mauve, burberry eye color cream, review, swatch, dusky mauve, mink
Applied over primer

1. August 31, 2015 / 2:16 pm

What a disappointment! I am a fan of cream shadows, but when you're buying luxury eye shadow, you expect high quality. I am really disappointed at the SA's response to you.

2. August 31, 2015 / 2:43 pm

That is such a bummer, especially considering the price!

3. August 31, 2015 / 3:30 pm

It's too bad this was defective since it's so pretty!

4. August 31, 2015 / 3:32 pm

Ugh! So sorry to hear about your experience. They may have had an "explanation" for the shade falling out of the jar, but what about the squishy, swatched look?

5. August 31, 2015 / 3:56 pm

OMG, I would have felt exactly the same way! What a shame!

6. August 31, 2015 / 5:43 pm

Soo sorry it disappointed you 🙁 No bueno.

7. August 31, 2015 / 7:11 pm

Ugh! The nerve, sending you a mucked up shadow then offering a lame excuse like that! I'm glad that I saw this review, tho. I have a couple of these creme shadows on my wishlist. I shall be deleting them. I'm not willing to shell out that kind of money for no pigmentation and substandard wear.

8. August 31, 2015 / 8:12 pm

Bummer. When I pay that much for makeup, I expect only exceptional quality, you know?

9. August 31, 2015 / 9:50 pm

That sucks, I have had that happen after owning a product for awhile but not when I first buy it. Thanks for you review, I have been eyeing these online!

10. August 31, 2015 / 11:37 pm

I have only had that happen once (very recently with a colour pop shadow). I think it happens when the cap doesn't get put on right and the product dries out.

11. September 1, 2015 / 12:54 am

Oh wow, what a shame! Burberry does not come cheap, so what a nightmare! I adore their blushes, but I haven't tried anything else from their range. I will stay away from these though!

• September 1, 2015 / 3:00 am

I like their single eyeshadows and a few of their lippies

12. September 1, 2015 / 1:33 am

Aw, it's too bad these didn't work out because they look so pretty in the jar!

13. September 1, 2015 / 1:36 am

Bummer! That's a steep price for makeup to do that!

14. September 1, 2015 / 2:29 am

I'm so glad you wrote about this. On a FB page I am on there's someone that raves about these. I trust your opinion more.

• September 1, 2015 / 2:59 am

Thanks much Marcia. Tbh, it's easy to get swayed esp because it's a luxury brand. I make it a point to use it to its full potential, road test on different application technique and occasions. I am very critical on luxury brands I purchase myself because I expect the best and don't settle for less. xoxo

15. September 1, 2015 / 2:43 am

Too bad but there are so many other options I cannot see spending any more on Burberry. Glad you returned.

16. September 1, 2015 / 2:55 am

That's really too bad about the quality 🙁 These look so pretty!

17. September 1, 2015 / 5:59 am

That is utterly sucky. The shade is gorgeous, but at that price shouldn't take so much work.

18. September 1, 2015 / 12:55 pm

omg thats insane! I would have returned as well – So disappointing!

19. September 1, 2015 / 2:32 pm

That is SUCH a shame because they're so beautiful! I haven't heard a lot of great things about them… more bad than good, anyway.

20. September 1, 2015 / 2:36 pm

I have love/ hate with cream shadows and find that unless they are very matte-ish, the color payoff is poor. Still a fan of Maybelline Color Tattoos and for high end MUFE Aqua Creams.

21. September 1, 2015 / 6:02 pm

I would never expect anything like that or that response from such a highend brand… this is luxury and I would be going postal if that happened to me.

22. September 3, 2015 / 10:38 pm

That sucks that it fell apart. I would have returned it as well. But your eyes look pretty!