Welcome to #teamhoodedeyes, where droopy eyelids and missing crease sashay in unison! While we own up to our ethnicity vis-a-vis aging, we hereby pledge to make our eyes selfie-worthy. Watch out Instagram because we are here to rock your world.
Got hooded eyes like this zilla? come spend a minute or two because I am here to show you how to create the illusion of having higher crease and larger lid space. Mind trick and makeup, you bet.
If you know me well enough, I go for neutral eye makeup in most days. Fuss-free is the word because I don’t have the time, let alone sit for an hour fixing my genetic inheritance. It is what it is, #hoodedforlife.
I prefer matte eyeshadows like Paula’s Choice The Nude Mattes over sheen or metallic because they create more depth and dimension. But then again, it’s just makeup so feel free to use whatever you have in your stash. Just remember these two imperative rules: use light eyeshadow to create bigger lid space and dark eyeshadow to create an illusion of higher crease.
1. Apply eye primer as you normally would.
2. With domed eyeshadow brush (small crease brush), apply dark eyeshadow (dark brown or gray are my favorites) few millimeters above your normal crease. Trick: angle your mirror up and look down.
3. Blend crease upward with lighter shade of brown for dimension.
4. With flat eyeshadow brush, apply light eyeshadow (flesh or light brown) on eyelid up to your “fake crease”.
5. Highlight brow arch and inner eye corner with sheen eyeshadow (champagne).
6. Tight-line with black kohl eyeliner to open up your eyes and create the illusion of darker/fuller lashes. Skip lining your upper lash line because it will reduce the space between your lid and crease.
7. Lightly smudge dark eyeshadow (dark brown) on lower lash line,
8. Apply a coat or two of mascara.
Any tips you want to add?
21 thoughts on “Makeup for Hooded Eyes #teamhoodedeyes”
Very informative post for those with hooded eyes, explaining what they are and how to correctly apply eye shadow to make eyes stand out. Tho' I don't technically have hooded eyes, my eyes are getting droopier as I get older so I am taking a lesson!
Thanks much! Yep, whether we like it or not, aging is the culprit
Not only is the such an important post for hooded-eyes beauties everywhere, but your tutorial is foolproof and easy to follow! Your final look is GAGAGAGORGEOUS!
Thanks so much! I'm happy you found this post helpful
Learning to create a "crease" and pull a deeper colour up onto my orbital bone changed my eye shadow life! When I started doing that, my eye looks changed and my eyes were suddenly visible. Hooded eyes are beautiful, you just have to have the skillz to make them up.
Yes to hooded eyes, welcome the fabulous club!
This look is so pretty! I love the crease!
I'm on team hooded eyes with you! I've always had hooded eyes. Your tutorial is awesome for hooded eyes!
Thanks so much. I'm happy for us #teamhoodedeyes
Love this post, I have hooded eyelids, I'll have to utilize the tips!
Yes, the tribe is multiplying! Go go go #teamhoodedeyes
I have slightly hooded eyes. Tightlining is life!
Welcome to the club
Great tips! My eyes are super-deepset (Any deeper and they'll be at the back of my head) and I'm always looking for ways to make them pop more.
I have hooded lids as well, and blending a deeper tone into my crease always helps in creating an illusion of a deeper crease. I saw a trick using lash glue, but I haven't tried it.
Such great tips! I'm not in the team just yet, but based on my eye shape now I just might be as I age.
Your makeup always looks so flawless!
This is PERFECT for those with hooded eyes. Great tutorial.
Gorgeous! This is SO helpful for those with hooded eyes. I have subtle hoods. 🙂
This post is super helpful!