Post-Workout Thirst Quencher :: Mango Coconut Drink (Plus My Fitness Goal Update)

how to make tropical smoothie, mango coconut juice

How’s your fitness goal so far? Can I tell you something really quick before I share my fuzz-free drink recipe? I have conquered two months without consuming chicken and beef. Initially I thought I won’t survive but here I am, alive and kicking and should I say more energized?! Once a week though, I still satisfy my seafoods craving as I slowly transition to becoming a vegetarian. The only difference now when it comes to meal preparation? I cook separate meals most of the time or force my husband go all-veggies, poor guy haha! Like for example today, his dinner was chicken teriyaki with rice while I had roast vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots dressed in olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, crushed basil, and parmesan). If I can’t be inventive enough, I just go to Down To Earth (local health food store here in Hawaii) to pick up some hot dishes to last me for few days.

Ready for my post-work out thirst quencher? You will only need 4 items: a blender obviously, 1/4 cup ice, 1 cup coconut water, 1 ripe mango (slice the sides, cut squares and scoop out). Mix and grind, easy peasy!

how to make tropical smoothie, mango coconut juice

Coconut water is dubbed as “natural sports drink”. It is rich in potassium, has less sugar and calories than traditional sports drink, and undoubtedly healthier than sodas! Mango on the other hand is called the “king of fruits” because it offers a plethora of benefits, to include keeping cholesterol in check, aiding digestion, boosting immunity, etc. Mix them both and you have a powerhouse drink pronto!

Feeling some smoothie? try out my strawberry banana (click here for more deets).

What are your fitness goals?

1. August 13, 2014 / 2:19 pm

My fitness goal is to get better from piriformis syndrome and my hamstring pull so I can go back to jogging. I've never tried coconut water, but maybe I'll substitute it for almond milk in my smoothies. And I've gotta pick up a mango to add to the peaches. yum

• August 15, 2014 / 8:16 am

Mahalo for sharing your fitness goal. I'm here to cheer for you!

2. August 13, 2014 / 2:31 pm

My fitness goal is to run another half marathon and eventually, a marathon. I was training for a half marathon in March earlier this year when I got pregnant, and my doc recommended I stop. I was a month away from my race and I'd gotten up to 9 miles for my long run. Even after my miscarriage, I let my sadness keep me from achieving my goal and I have, no lie, packed on 30 lbs., and feel awful. I'm still running 3 to 4 miles three or four times a week, but I miss ME and I need to find a race goal, because that's what I need to motivate me. I'm currently looking into what I want to train for, and I'm SLOWLY getting my motivation back while TRYING to get my eating under control and take positive steps forward. You are inspiring, and I was on the fence about my run tonight, but reading this, about your change in lifestyle and your happiness here – it's inspiring. So thank you 🙂

• August 15, 2014 / 8:23 am

Thanks for sharing your fitness goal my friend. We all have experienced certain events that affected our motivation and drive. I feel you! Like I always tell my friends, the hardest challenge is not the workout itself but the motivation and commitment to do it. What has worked for me so far is to engage in an activity that gives me the most joy and satisfaction(I love to dance so that's my #1 to burn calories). I know you love to run so use that as your outlet whenever sadness strikes. I'm here to cheer for you!

3. August 13, 2014 / 5:20 pm

Right now, I am concentrating on getting to a healthy, normal weight. Down 70 since November, I have a way to go but I am making progress. 😀

That smoothie looks delish. I have to try coconut water.

• August 15, 2014 / 8:24 am

Wow, that's a milestone Erika! Are you on a special diet or exercise?

4. August 13, 2014 / 6:01 pm

I want to try your smoothie! My fitness goals are to get into shape, lose body fat, build muscle. I'm doing it slowly but surely.

5. August 13, 2014 / 6:11 pm

That looks so good! My goal is to just freaking get motivated

6. August 13, 2014 / 6:29 pm

I make this smoothie!!! My fitness goal is just to keep pushing myself

7. August 13, 2014 / 7:15 pm

My fitness goal is to became better at running and hopefully next year beat all my times from this year 🙂

8. August 13, 2014 / 9:32 pm

Have you seen the life hack of separating the mango peel from the fruit using a glass? It's awesome. I haven't tried it yet (you slice the sides off like normal, but then put the cut edge against a glass and push down. The fruit goes into the glass and the peel comes off.) Quicker smoothie!

9. August 13, 2014 / 10:47 pm

I ADORE mangos! Will have to try this recipe!

Xo, Michelle
    mash-elle.blogspot.com

10. August 14, 2014 / 12:17 am

Yum, this is so much better than a sugary sports drink. I'm nursing a tendon tear as soon as it heels I want to get back into working out regularly.

• August 15, 2014 / 8:27 am

Sorry to hear that! Sending you positive thoughts so you can get back to working out soon! xo

11. August 14, 2014 / 1:38 am

I am so trying this out! I have become a bit of a coconut water fan so I am exc ited!

12. August 14, 2014 / 1:41 am

That sounds super yummy but I get weird with mango that Strawberry Banana one sounds awesome though!

13. August 14, 2014 / 2:03 am

This looks SO good. My fitness goal is to actually start going to the gym! I'm so lazy when it comes to working out lol.

• August 15, 2014 / 8:28 am

trust me, once you get the hang of it, your body will crave for it 🙂

14. August 14, 2014 / 2:38 am

That sounds delicious! I love everything with mango in it, so i'll def try this smoothie.

15. August 14, 2014 / 2:41 am

This sounds delicious!

16. August 14, 2014 / 2:47 am

I haven't worked up the courage to try coconut water yet!

17. August 14, 2014 / 2:55 am

My fitness goal is to be able to do Zumba 3-5 a week, I just love it.

18. August 14, 2014 / 3:15 am

My fitness goal is to start by being consistent. I'm not a huge fan of coconut water on its own, maybe I'll try it in a smoothie!

19. August 14, 2014 / 3:36 am

I love coconut water! I once tried a dark chocolate flavored coconut water and loved it but I can't find it anymore! Bummmmmer! My fitness goal is to get back into jogging everyday! I was really good about it at the beginning of the summer but fell off that train mid-summer.

• August 15, 2014 / 8:30 am

never heard of dark choc coconut water, that sounds yummy in massive proportion.

20. August 14, 2014 / 3:44 am

Wow, I really don't know if I could give up chicken and beef. I mean, I'm sure I would live but that would be so difficult mind-wise. I give you so much credit – especially since you're still cooking your husband a separate meal!

• August 15, 2014 / 8:31 am

thanks Carly. my trick is to cook meals that will last him 3 dinners 🙂

21. August 14, 2014 / 3:57 am

I could live without beef (tho I love it), but chicken is something I'm not sure I could live without! Kudos to you for sticking with your plan! I've never had coconut water – does it taste like coconut at all? I'm not fond of that taste.

• August 15, 2014 / 8:32 am

this particular is a tad sweeter than the real coconut

22. August 14, 2014 / 4:35 am

Yummy! I love mangos and I love coconut water so here's hoping I like both together!

23. August 14, 2014 / 5:35 am

Coconut water makes me twitchy. I can't stand it. Maybe in a smoothie though!!

24. August 14, 2014 / 10:22 am

Oh that smoothie looks good! Right now my goal is to exercise more often.

25. August 14, 2014 / 2:21 pm

Imma need to try some coconut water – sounds so good combined like this!

26. August 14, 2014 / 4:11 pm

mmm so yummy! I love coconut water 🙂

27. August 15, 2014 / 12:00 am

That sounds so yummy and you look adorable with the bangs and your hair pulled back like that!

28. August 17, 2014 / 12:50 am

I love coconut water, I bet this is even better!