Teriyaki burger is a seasonal McDonalds gimmickry here in Hawaii. According to my teriyaki-burger obsessed hub, this calorie-laden bad boy is only sold during summer months. But since I don’t eat meat anymore (recently a lacto-vegetarian convert here mama), I try my very best to be resourceful when it comes to meal preparation. I like portobello mushrooms so I thought of satisfying my own teriyaki craving sans le beef. Ready for my easy #HealthyEats recipe ? come join me!
Ingredients: portobello mushrooms, tomatoes, lettuce (or spinach), teriyaki sauce, whole wheat burger bun, cheese (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
2. Wash and pat dry portobello mushroom with a paper towel
3. Remove the stem
4. In a baking pan, pour 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce over portobello mushrooms (for this recipe, I used gluten-free Kelis Hawaiian Teriyaki Baste and Glaze)
5. Cover with aluminum foil
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until mushrooms are tender
7. Optional: add cheese slice on top, return portobello mushrooms to oven, broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted
8. Toast burger bun
9. Stuff with tomatoes and lettuce/spinach as you please
Filling, healthy, heavenly. What more can I say? I’m in Cloud Nom!
Do you like portobello mushrooms? give this recipe a try!
til our next #HealthyEats idea,