Guerlain Super Aqua-Serum BB Hydra+ (Moyen/Medium): Review, Swatch, Before/After

::    affiliate    ::

Ask me three years ago and I wouldn’t even bother with a BB cream. With my skin being extremely oily back then (and many many moons ago), it’s a rather surprising change that I am gravitating towards it now more than ever. I mean most BBs I’ve tried back then were mostly dewy and uber hydrating, a stark contrast to what my greasy face needed. Blame summer or hormonal factor aging, either way I just want light coverage, sunscreen, and moisturizer all in one sitting. Fuzz-free is the buzzword for this old lady, haha!

Guerlain recently added BB cream to its famous Aqua-Serum line, aptly named BB+ Hydra (40ml, 1.3 fl oz, $75). In a nutshell, it’s a tinted moisturizer with sun protection benefits. I’m big on serums so even if I’m still loving another foundation from Guerlain,  the Terracota Joli Teint (review here), you can tell that “want”  obviously won over “need”. I want it regardless, #idontevenhavetoexplain

What the website says: “Guerlain takes a cue from its best-selling Super Aqua-Serum and its Aquacomplex, which purifies cellular water to improve circulation and restore a youthful appearance, and infuses it into Super Aqua-Serum BB+ Hydra Beauty Balm Instant Hydration SPF 25. In a single step, your skin receives instant, long-lasting hydration, your wrinkles and fine lines are smoothed and your complexion is noticeably more even. Its subtly tinted, feather-light texture protects your skin from both UV rays and dehydration while perfecting your complexion for a naturally radiant glow. It’s lightly fragranced with notes of fresh rose, aqua flower, ylang ylang and jasmine.”

What my oily yet maturing skin says: I was pleasantly surprised that its dewy finish didn’t turn me off.  It applied smoothly and evenly like a real foundation. It didn’t settle into my pores or aggravate their size as the day progressed (if you are cursed with oily skin and ravaged by craters, then you know that shine is our greatest foe!). While there were minor shine issues and I had to blot my face twice during the entire period I was wearing it (which was approximately ten hours), I still like the overall lightweight-feel and sense of inexplicable glow this BB Cream gave me. In fact, I got asked by dear patients what makeup I was wearing or was told that I look fresh. Now whether that’s wholeheartedly said or merely attributed to vision problems, I seriously don’t know *insert four snaps here*. Wear time is impressive, it stayed on until I was ready to remove a day’s worth of hard work. Needless to say, the sunscreen component (SPF25) is cherry on top.

The only drawback which is common to all BB creams? it’s available in only two shades, Light and Medium so color-correction is required if neither one suits you. Fragrance is also relative but if you’re familiar with Guerlain, then you know that all their products are floral scented.

To your enjoyment, here’s moi au naturel, with Guerlain Super Aqua-Serum BB Hydra+ in Medium, and the final look (covered my eye bags with NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, set with Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder, and drenched my lips with YSL Rouge Volupte Shine 4 Rouge in Danger).

Intrigued with that hair? Cropped, wig, tell me what you think…. (the answer is found here)

Kathryne

1. July 28, 2014 / 10:20 am

I like BB creams even with my oily skin.. mostly because I don't like full-coverage makeup. Maybe it's something I just need to get used to from time to time because there are days when I need to cover more! I looooove that red lippie! So glossy and red. I'm not sure about the hair! I can believe you cut it all off, but then again, it might be a wig? Either way, it's cute!

• July 29, 2014 / 6:36 am

LOL! The great reveal on the hair will be up soon! I'm a late bloomer when it comes too BBs of this world but so far I'm really liking it.

2. July 28, 2014 / 12:20 pm

I love that lippie! Also, you should be the spokeswoman for Guerlain. Serious! You sell me more of it than the sales girls do lol

3. July 28, 2014 / 1:47 pm

Wow, this looks fab on you, fabzilla!!!! LOVE THAT RED LIP TOO!

4. July 28, 2014 / 2:31 pm

Gorgeoussss! But really it's that red lip that is stealing the show.

5. July 28, 2014 / 2:32 pm

It looks great! It looks like your skin but better… It sucks it's only available in two shades though.

6. July 28, 2014 / 3:41 pm

You look lovely with the short hair!

7. July 28, 2014 / 4:48 pm

Yes, that's the key problem with some BBs: the lack of shade selection. Most of the time, however, i can find a shade that's close enough. Sometimes with foundation, I get overwhelmed by all the choices. The Guerlain BB looks great on you. Your finished look with the wonderful highlights is just gorgeous!

• July 29, 2014 / 6:40 am

Thanks Allison. I just wish there are more shade varieties of this BB because it really is worth every penny

8. July 28, 2014 / 5:52 pm

It looks too dark 🙁

9. July 28, 2014 / 6:03 pm

It's so hard finding a good BB Cream because of the limited color selections with most companies!! When they only offer two, most of the time it doesn't work for me. I'll have to see about this one!!

• July 29, 2014 / 6:42 am

Yeah, it's always a hit or miss when it comes to BB shade

10. July 28, 2014 / 6:38 pm

This looks remarkable good on you. It sure is pricey, but if you get great results it's worth it! I'm not a fan of pixie cuts, I like your hair long!

11. July 28, 2014 / 6:42 pm

I love BB creams but definitely get a shine issue also–the joys of being an adult!

12. July 28, 2014 / 7:46 pm

I usually prefer a less dewy finish due to the whole gigantic pore issue but it's nice to read that it didn't settle into pores which is a problem I've been encountering more and more with most liquidy foundations (even with a primer!)

13. July 28, 2014 / 7:55 pm

I find BB creams to be a hard match, I am always in between medium/ light and almost always end up concealing separately under eyes. You should try Dr Brandt's CC, it is is a lot less costly than Guerlain.

14. July 28, 2014 / 8:13 pm

It sounds great! And it looks great on you!

15. July 28, 2014 / 11:07 pm

It looks good on you!

16. July 28, 2014 / 11:18 pm

Now that's a great review! I'm really stuck on tinted moisturizers but I've thought about "graduated" to BB creams.

17. July 29, 2014 / 2:15 am

I'd love to use BB cream but I find with how oily my skin is it just melts off no matter what I do. Great review though!

18. July 29, 2014 / 3:19 am

It did a really great job of evening out your skin tone, which is what my biggest issue is. I'll have to check this out!

19. July 29, 2014 / 4:02 am

I have combination skin and I really like using some BB creams despite their dewy finish. This BB looks fabulous on you, without masking your beautiful complexion.

20. July 29, 2014 / 5:57 am

From the lippie to the wig to the BB Cream, I'm intrigued by all of it!

21. July 29, 2014 / 6:06 am

I'm loving your hair here! Also…I'm addicted to BB creams. This looks so nice on you!

22. July 29, 2014 / 7:23 am

If that is the medium shade I would hope the light shade is much, much lighter otherwise it would still be too dark for me. But it sounds like a lovely BB.

23. July 29, 2014 / 12:55 pm

this looks so fab on you! i totally want to try this out now!

24. July 29, 2014 / 1:40 pm

I like the packaging! I love how it covered really well 🙂

25. July 29, 2014 / 9:05 pm

First of all… you look beautiful 😉 Second, I can never find a BB cream that is geared more towards a warm toned skin like mine… they all make me ashy or because of their spf, I have that funky white look. This one looks like I would like it and I would splurge on it if I used bb often.

26. July 31, 2014 / 3:46 am

I think it looks great on you and I love the wig too!