Sunscreen In A Compact? Avene Haute Protection SPF 50 Tinted Compact (Review, Photos)

avene haute protection tinted compact spf 50, review, mineral sunscreen

Because less is more for me these days, I am on the hunt for another multi-tasking product that offers decent coverage and sun protection. I know BB cream is supposed to be “the manna” but I’m a beauty junkie so I won’t concoct protracted stories for you. Read: I just want to try new things, period

Enter Avene Haute Protection SPF50 Tinted Compact (Sable/Beige). Per website description, it’s “100% mineral sunscreen with cream- to powder- formulation for fair to medium skin tone. It has Avene Thermal Spring Water to soothe skin and SPF 50 which protects skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays”.

avene haute protection tinted compact spf 50, review, mineral sunscreen

Hmmm…. quite a novelty because I don’t own a tinted sunscreen presented this way.  Similar to most powder makeups, it is packaged in a compact with split partition for the sponge and actual product. It has a mirror which comes in handy for quick touchups.

IngredientsTitanium Dioxide (18%), Zinc Oxide (4.9%). Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Squalane, Polyethylene, Talc, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, Silica, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polyglyceryl-3, Diisostearate, Water/Eau (Aqua), Beeswax/Cire D’Abeille (Cera Alba), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Microcrystalline Wax/Cire Microcristalline (Cera Microcristallina), Phenoxyethanol Tocopheryl Glucoside, Tribehenin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), (CI 77492), (CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

avene haute protection tinted compact spf 50, review, mineral sunscreen

How do I scope out the product? Should I use the sponge, brush or mah fingers? Decisions, decisions. I’m iffy with the first two due to  possible bacterial contamination so I’m better off with the lesser evil: swipe with clean finger, pat on face, and then use a foundation brush to blend. There, trivial issue solved.

The skinny. It feels and covers like a tinted moisturizer. It has slight chemical scent but overall tolerable (think drugstore foundation). Since it has dimethicone, it blurred my pores albeit temporarily, I would say two hours at the most. Take note, this is a sunscreen so reapplication is encouraged every two hours especially when you’re outdoors. Sable/Beige is supposed to be a good match for my medium skin tone but as you can see from the photo below, I’m Casper reanimated, haha! I had to color-correct using Laura Geller Balance-N-Brighten Foundation Regular Powder SPF15. The ultimate deal breaker? this tinted compact is available in two shades: Honey for fair to very fair and Beige/Sable for fair to medium. In short, this product is solely created for you my fair ladies!

avene haute protection tinted compact spf 50, review, mineral sunscreen

Despite the Casper-effect which can be corrected with a powder or liquid foundation, it still has its own merits: high SPF, paraben-free, water-resistant. It also depends on how you will use this product, exclusively sunscreen or as an add-on to your makeup routine? Either way I’m not repurchasing because of the shade mismatch.

Still on the subject of Casper,  you may or may not know that the ingredients in sunscreen (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) reflect the camera flash which makes your face look pasty white especially at night time. Do yourself a favor, steer clear from foundations with SPF if you plan on taking photos. For one, who wears sunscreen at night? #commonsense

Have you tried this product?

1. June 17, 2014 / 8:04 am

It's a shame the colour was so off because otherwise it sounds like a pretty cool product. I think Beige/Sable would be more suited to my skin colour.

2. June 17, 2014 / 8:28 am

I never mind the casper effect with sunblock. I usually look for physical sunblocks because they're less irritating for my skin. That one definitely makes you look pale!

3. June 17, 2014 / 3:05 pm

Dang bummer. I love Avene products, and I would think they would make more shades. The product itself sounds quite good, but yeah no thanks on the casper look. I would need like at least one more shade darker or like you did balance it with other product.

• June 18, 2014 / 6:44 am

yeah it would be nice to see Avene expand its hade selection!

4. June 17, 2014 / 3:34 pm

I think this would be a good product for me for summer. I was thinking about foundation in a compact with SPF. Too bad the color was off. I actually hate it when they have those broad categories, e.g. fair/medium, because they work for NO ONE, lol

• June 18, 2014 / 6:55 am

True, the lack of color variety is the ultimate drawback

5. June 17, 2014 / 4:31 pm

I really like the idea behind this but I hate the Casper-effect!

6. June 17, 2014 / 4:33 pm

The color is off and my "fair" skin tone wouldn't make that product work either. I find it hard to believe people are going to reapply this powder every 2 hours. But I like the idea behind this product. Hopefully they will offer a wider range of shades in the future.

7. June 17, 2014 / 11:39 pm

All about the high SPF but no to the casper. I'm white enough.

8. June 18, 2014 / 2:07 am

It seems like matching your skintone would be a no-brainer. It frustrates me when companies don't make a product for a wider range of skintones!

9. June 18, 2014 / 2:19 am

I like the matte effect it has but I also don't have to worry about the Casper effect since I'm already translucent 😉

10. June 18, 2014 / 6:36 am

Too bad the color is so wrong.

11. June 18, 2014 / 1:15 pm

Sounds like an interesting compact, and I like Avene, so I may actually give it a try. I've been into unique sunscreens lately, my current obsession is a mineral SPF powder.

12. June 18, 2014 / 6:30 pm

I like the idea of this but I'd be a Casper, too!

13. June 19, 2014 / 1:24 am

I wore this last year but I am fair and didn't have a color problem.

14. June 23, 2014 / 12:24 pm

Yikes, only 2 shades!? I prefer sunscreen built into my foundations…I have never had a problem with flash photos, but then again we don't get out much at night LOL!

15. Anonymous
    June 16, 2017 / 9:52 pm

I don’t think you have this correct, but I’m pretty sure the honey is darker than beige.