That Thing Called Lippy Phenomenon

So how many lipsticks do you have in your purse? As. In. Right. Now. 2, 3, 5, 8, 10? Call it a Lippy Phenomenon but isn’t it crazy to find your beloved lipsticks unwillingly migrating to your purse? Front pocket, side pocket, inside pocket, makeup bag. If only they could scream, I bet you they’re swearing now like waddafaq woman!!!!

For today’s chit-chat, let’s talk about what you and I might have in common; what (ab)normal people don’t seem to understand; or why guys never get it. Of course when I say (ab)normal, I pertain to humanoids outside our norms. And with norms, I mean “guilty of possessing three or more lipsticks or I’m dead”.

But who’s to blame? Bloggers who enable you with their reviews? Youtubers who show and tell? Companies who bombard you with collections season after season? How many more nudes, reds, and pinks you and I must own? Don’t ask me, I’m guilty as charged.

You see lipstick is my instant perk-me-up ally. When I want smokey eyes, you guess I’m wearing neutral. When I want a barely-there eye makeup, red lipstick is no-brainer. When I look haggard, I reach out to bright pinks. What you see me wearing in the morning isn’t exactly the same shade or lipstick I wear after lunch. It’s not being fickle-minded, I call it my emergency kit.

So what if we have varying shades of pink, red or nude in our bag, God knows these clueless humanoids will thank us later.

I think this obsession with lipstick was influenced by my long-demised grandma. I remember growing up, I used to play with her lipsticks. She always looked good, what with her perfectly-coiffed hair and luscious red lips. That’s why it wasn’t a surprise that the very first item I bought with my very first salary was a MAC lipstick . I was so elated I can afford MAC (we are talking mid 90s gurl, haha).

Over the years, I’ve earned quite a reputation, lipstick-wise. I’ve had encounters with (ab)normal humanoids who (1) laugh with this obsession (2) gasp when they see I have at least five in my purse (3) backstab yet had the nerve to ask “can I try your Estee Lauder?”. Yeah the nerve.

But if there is one lipstick story that went down in memorylandia, that would have to be the fateful EXECOM (executive committee) meeting. It was in the mid-2000, our company president was hella mad with the very low sales turnover of the team. He was questioning each manager at the top of his lungs (mind you, I’m not kidding). When it was my turn to be interrogated, his angry mood suddenly changed and had this to say “I am distracted by your shiny lips, I can’t talk anymore”. Everyone laughed and clapped. I blushed and in true divaness attitude, I stood up and said, you have to thank these lips people! Wanna know the prophetic lippy that saved these humanoids’ asses? Duwop Lip Venom. If you’ve tried it, you know It stings so bad but wins in the shine and plump department.

So there ladies and gents, the next time you see a woman suffering from this so-called Lippy Phenomenon, don’t dare laugh or question her because she could be the next Messiah.

Bow.

givenchy le rouge 312 violine precieux review swatch
moi in Givenchy Le Rouge 312 Violine Precieux

Kathryne

1. January 21, 2014 / 8:15 am

Lol! I've met humanoids who have had the nerve to ask me the same thing. I generally see red. Meanwhile which is that white lipstick tube? It looks gorgeous!

2. January 21, 2014 / 10:26 am

You're quite funny. Definitely a good read. And you're right, my boyfriend will never understand why I have 10-15 lipglosses or lipsticks in my purse at one time. Heck, I'm not even sure I understand it.

• January 22, 2014 / 5:26 am

Hi Becca. Thanks for stopping by. So what makes a boyfriend a husband material? when he finally accepts the makeup/ lipstick addiction, haha!

3. January 21, 2014 / 12:24 pm

Ohmygosh I LOVED that work story!! I actually don't carry lipstick in my purse unless I'm out on date night or girls night with a full face of makeup. I really should start wearing lipstick on a daily basis!

• January 22, 2014 / 5:27 am

Hello my gorgeous friend Tina. Can I be your enabler for today? I say wear lipstick all the time, haha!

4. January 21, 2014 / 1:43 pm

I cracked up at your story almost as hard as the meme! LOL! DuWop to the rescue!

• January 22, 2014 / 5:28 am

hahaha, did Gollum inspire you today? #nofillter
      I wonder where the hell is DuWop now…..

• January 22, 2014 / 5:29 am

Hello Kelly! I like the term AMASSED! it's like an ill-gotten wealth by a politician, haha! I will definitely check your post, you know you're one of my fave bloggers!

5. January 21, 2014 / 2:50 pm

I'm right there with you, Kath. I used to be all ashamed about having too much makeup, because your average janes and joes might think I'm vain and shallow. Now I embrace it and proudly display my collection, after all, they're the ones missing out 🙂

• January 22, 2014 / 5:31 am

**Applause and throws confetti** Preach it Anastasia! We don't do harm to humanoids so let's continue to entertain them, haha!

6. January 21, 2014 / 2:53 pm

I totally get your lippie obsession. Lipstick is my favorite makeup. Cheers!

7. January 21, 2014 / 3:15 pm

I love that your company president was too distracted by your lipstick to continue his yelling. That's a good lipstick to keep in your purse just in case.

8. January 21, 2014 / 3:19 pm

I have received those humanoid reactions as well, and have learned that when rummaging for lippy it is best not to pull them all out of the handbag at once. For the record it appears that I currently have 11 lip colours and 3 additional lip balms hiding out in there. No make that 12 and 3. The Stila compact is one of their cheek/lippy double-taskers. And true, I could probably put a few of those back in the vanity….. But you know, let's not call it "suffering" from the phenomenon so much as "being enlightened by the power of a good lipstick" because your story proves that even for non-lippy-wearing individuals, it can still have quite a dramatic impact on the quality of their day. 😀

• January 22, 2014 / 5:34 am

Amen!!! Wow, you won for today's tally of lipsticks!!!! LOL. And the funny thing is, we wonder what happened to our lippies only to discover them stashed shamelessly in our purse!!!

9. January 21, 2014 / 4:51 pm

Why don't they understand??? 😉 I love this post, good work!!!

• January 22, 2014 / 5:34 am

because they are humanoids, haha! Thanks for stopping by Kate!

10. January 21, 2014 / 5:13 pm

You just cant go wrong with lipstick, it's so fun! And how many do I have in my bag right now? Just two!!!

11. January 21, 2014 / 6:28 pm

I'm right there with you with the lippy obsession. Before I got into makeup I had a million glosses.

• January 22, 2014 / 5:36 am

My ESP was right, you had gazillion more. But cheers to us lippy obsessed gals!

12. January 21, 2014 / 6:54 pm

Ha ha! You got me to actually laugh out loud, and I mean really, not just type LOL with a straight face! That's a great story. 🙂

• January 22, 2014 / 5:36 am

LOL! Thanks so much. Glad I made you laugh hard. More funny stories to come sissy!

13. January 21, 2014 / 7:02 pm

I don't own nearly enough lippies. Tragically few look truly GOOD on me so I see no point in buying them, just to have them. I am a freak of nature, I only have one lipstick or gloss in my bag, at a time. I carry the one in current use. When I get home, I take it out of my bag and put it away. The next time I go out, I put that day's lippy in use in my bag, rinse and repeat. Told ya… Freak.

• January 22, 2014 / 5:37 am

Hahaha. You are one gorgeous freak with several bright pink lacquers to boot. Now our world is even.

14. January 21, 2014 / 7:18 pm

This is the most fabulous blog post/makeup article I have ever read, hands down. I too am a slave to this phenomenon. I find myself buying the same shades of pinky-nude and fuschia in every brand and formulation possible. Then I feel the desperate NEED to cart them all around in my purse. Because, you know, I need them….

• January 22, 2014 / 5:38 am

Thanks for stopping by. I figured, life is too short not to satisfy our lil guilty pleasures. More stories of eccentricities next time, haha!

15. January 21, 2014 / 7:18 pm

I love the lipstick in that last pix. MMM! I have at least 10 in my purse now, and I'm always trying to cull down.. but then a few more sneak into my bag! I have a serious obsession with all things lippy…but I usually pass on the pale ones.

• January 22, 2014 / 5:39 am

That's so nice to know Nidia. I know there is a planet out there for lippy-obssessed women.

16. January 21, 2014 / 8:28 pm

So I went and counted, I currently have 13 lippy's in my purse. Oh dear.

• January 22, 2014 / 5:40 am

I am not surprised my Angela! LOL. So we are one in the same boat. Cheers!

17. January 22, 2014 / 12:17 am

I love this!! I'm a sucker for the same shades that I buy over and over again. Nothing like a big lippy collection 🙂

• January 22, 2014 / 5:40 am

LOL. Free to laugh and….. fart. haha! Thanks for stopping by Laura. xo

18. January 22, 2014 / 2:20 am

Love it!!!! My Grandma gave me my love for red lipstick too!

19. January 22, 2014 / 2:21 am

Love it! I got my love of red lipstick from my Grandma too.

20. January 22, 2014 / 2:58 am

I buy the same shades over and over because I see those minute differences and then need them. It doesn't matter who else sees them as long as I do!! And you too.

• January 22, 2014 / 5:42 am

True that Marcia. Only a hardcore lippy lover knows the difference between a neutral and nude, haha!

21. January 22, 2014 / 6:11 am

I never wore lipstick until senior year of high school, and I never looked back. Although I do try to keep the ones in my purse limited to the one i'm wearing that day– since my purse is notorious for swallowing makeup never to be seen again!

• January 25, 2014 / 7:39 am

LOL, those unexplainable hole in our purses, tell me about it! Coins, lippies, hair ties, they're hiding somewhere in the hole!