6 Ways To Update Your Look in 2014

easy ways to update look this year, how to be happy, perfect red lipstick, radiant orchid, how to groom brows, beyonce hair

// affiliate //

Wanting to change is just a plan until you bite the bullet and do it. It can be as mind-blowing as moving to another country to start your life anew or as mundane as having a new haircut just because. Regardless, I wish you good luck in your journey!

Today we will tackle what seems to be trivial to some, how to update your look this year.  The great thing about it is that you don’t need to spend a fortune. But can we all pinkie- swear that today will be the start of the new fabulous you?

1. Pucker up. The no-nonsense way to amp up your look is to graduate from your usual lip shade. I have nothing against you wearing Avon but my gawd, you’ve been wearing that old rose shade since college! And we are talking Beverly Hills 90210 circa-90 girly. Try red this year. Don’t be intimidated, there is THE perfect red for you, all you need is to swipe. I bet your Avon Lady will be happy to see you order a different color. Need tips on how to wear red lipstick? The goodies are here.

2. Bold accessories. So you’re the shirt and jeans type, no we’re not going to change that as I’m all about comfort too. But can we add a statement neckpiece this time?  I know there’s a diva waiting to be unleashed in you. Now roll and roar!

3. The eyes have it. Eyeliners don’t come exclusively black. You don’t even need makeup skills to whip up a new eye makeup. Just replace black with purple or teal or bronze. You’ll be amazed with the instant transformation. Want to try colorful cat eyes? See my version here.

4. New hairstyle. You don’t need a breakup to chop your hair. Why even go that extreme.  Try bob if pixie is too short for you.  If you’re sporting straight-hair all your life, try beach waves. Just do what makes you feel fabulous. Carpe diem. Life is short.

5. New hair color. If you don’t want a new hairstyle, why not try a new hair color? If DIY scares you, leave it to your hairstylist. Last year I asked my stylist to dye mine ala- J Lo. I have not decided yet what color I want this year but there will be an update on that for sure.

6. Hello brows. If you still doubt the power of brows to change your look, think again. If you know me well enough, like we’re ->this<- close then you must be aware that I despise ungroomed brows. I can understand stray hairs here and there because who has the time to monitor new growth and pluck every so often. But I’m talking about Incredible Hulk, shapeless, or totally neglected brows. Take the first step, study your face shape and the right eyebrows to compliment it. If you have no clue, visit a brow salon. For maintenance, just buy a good pair of tweezers and pluck your own.

In unison, lets’ all scream TGIF. You become what you perceive.

’til our next chitchat,

Kathryne

1. January 7, 2014 / 9:10 am

Great post! I have been thinking of trying red hair, but I am just so scared of the result and when I want my blonde hair back than removing red will be pain in ***. I totally agree on the brow thing – I absolutely HATE ungroomed brows!

• January 8, 2014 / 5:34 am

Many thanks Leelo! I can't wait to see your new red hair… take it slow, maybe reddish brown? And yay to nicely groomed brows!

2. January 7, 2014 / 12:25 pm

I'm about due for a hair cut AND color for the new year! Good tips, I do need to start going for some color in my eyeliners :).

• January 8, 2014 / 5:35 am

Hi Tina. I remember you shared your haircut and color last year. You have beautiful eyes, you can rock any eyeliner!

3. January 7, 2014 / 3:10 pm

my hairstyle is always what changes first if I feel the urge for change 🙂

• January 8, 2014 / 5:35 am

Awesome!!! I think the last time I had super short hair was probably back in early 2000.

• January 8, 2014 / 5:36 am

Same here Brooke. There's something about YSL that makes me feel fab and….. sexayyyyy!

4. January 7, 2014 / 7:21 pm

I am all about a new hair style this year…actually, I am hoping to cut it. I just need to find the "right cut" to get inspired. I need to get bolder with the red lips thing, too. Somehow, I always feel like it is hard to pull off.

• January 8, 2014 / 5:38 am

Go for it Pammy! You have very nice face shape, I think you will look more fab w/ bob! I will be your cheerleader for the RED lippy. I say G with the O with the FOR IT.

• January 13, 2014 / 8:33 am

my bf loves red lips so i've been slowly adding to my collection. i find the revlon colorburst lip laqueur in enticing a very wearable, every day red.

5. January 7, 2014 / 7:43 pm

I am an ungroomed brow offender! lol. I actually really like mine, though. I did discover brow gel this past year, though, and use that to help shape them. Go Queen Bey, rock it!

• January 8, 2014 / 5:38 am

haha, you are funny Nidia! Yep Queen Bey gotta scream TGIF!

6. January 7, 2014 / 7:47 pm

I definitely want to experiment with bolder accessories. I have two necklaces that I wear almost every day (gifts from the BF) but I want to wear more statement necklaces!

• January 8, 2014 / 5:39 am

Now is the time to add bolder accessories then. Rock while it's hot. xo

7. January 7, 2014 / 7:59 pm

I have been working to grow my hair out for a year, and I started dying it blonde less than a year ago from dyed red. I am so much happier blond, I don't want to change my hair color or stop growing it yet! LOL I will, however, try to find a better way to tame eyebrows this year. I am right now using scissors to trim because wax really irritate me. And I can not be trusted with tweezers, lol. My skin is so sensitive.

• January 8, 2014 / 5:41 am

That's great to hear Judy. I love your hair color too!!! Have you tried threading your brows?

8. January 7, 2014 / 8:30 pm

Great suggestions! I think I will try all of them at some point, starting with new lip color and accessories 🙂

9. January 7, 2014 / 10:06 pm

I love your tips!

10. January 7, 2014 / 11:19 pm

I love this! You're so right about changing your lip color – I think I've been wearing the same shade for almost 10 years and I just can't change 😉 Definitely going to throw in some more bright colors when'd king my make up.

• January 8, 2014 / 5:42 am

Yeah try brighter and bolder lip colors this year Farryn! I'm sure you can rock any shade in the planet!!!

11. January 8, 2014 / 12:24 am

FABULOUS POST….. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!! I am a true believer of changing things up and unfortunately so many women end up in what a refer to as a 'beauty rut', I, on the other hand, love changing things up, although it is an expensive addiction to have!! Change is good for the soul and makes me feel vibrant.

• January 8, 2014 / 5:45 am

Hi Nathalie. First, thanks for stopping by. Second, I agree w/ you on some women being trapped in a life rut. Physical, mental, emotional, etc. I just shake my head whenever I see "friends" posting the same rants over and over on FB yet they don't do something to address the issue. Life is good, change is better! xo

12. January 8, 2014 / 12:29 am

FABULOUS POST…. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!! Great tips. I am a firm believer of change, unfortunately so many women remain in what I refer to as a 'beauty rut'. I on the other hand embrace change, although it is an expensive addiction to have — Sephora just loves me!!! Change for me is good for the soul and makes me feel vibrant.

13. January 8, 2014 / 7:20 am

It's so easy to get caught up in our day to day, but these tips really do show how simple it can be to freshen things up!

14. January 12, 2014 / 8:29 am

Very interesting post. Sometimes we all need to change something, let's start from the look 😉

15. January 13, 2014 / 8:35 am

great post! every time i get bored with my hair, it gets a new shade of red or purple! i'm thinking about an inky black/blue this year