It’s time for another chit-chat my lovelies! I know it’s way too early to talk about spring, what with the volume of snow you guys in the mainland are experiencing. Don’t laugh but at low 50s here in Hawaii, I’m cold as ice, brrrr!
Consider spring-cleaning as my figure of speech. What I really mean is overhauling some aspects of your life or things you probably ignore on a day-to-day basis because
(1) they are petty;
(2) you never have the time;
(3) nobody appreciates your effort anyways;
(4) you’re a procrastinator;
(5) you don’t like change.
I don’t mean to sound like Oprah or influence your beliefs ala Chopra, of course to each his own. My life ain’t 100% perfection either. But we are here to empower and rally each other. While I have done most of the things I mentioned below, I still need to accomplish more. So yes, you and I will take it one step at a time like virtual BFFs.
(1) Alright let’s start with the obvious, what else but makeups! Please tell me you know that makeups expire. While it’s been said that you have to toss your lipsticks after 2 years, or mascaras every 3 or 4 months, I say stick to your guns and practice common sense. Anything that smells funky and looks moldy should be thrown pronto. If you are keeping them for sentimental reasons or because they are part of a limited collection you hate to divorce, by all means keep but please don’t evah use it.
(2) Next, let’s attack the most-used yet least-maintained part of the kitchen, the friggin’ fridge! When was the last time you have tossed expired products? Girly, that barbecue sauce has been sitting there for 3 years. And that ranch dressing, it says expiry March 2012! What about that turkey sandwich from last week’s leftover? Can we all review what’s in the fridge and toss everything that doesn’t look right? It’s no rocket science and I’m sure we can finish in ten minutes or less. Got another 15 minutes? let’s deep-clean our beloved fridge!
(3) Now let’s tackle The Mighty Closet. So you’re still keeping a pair of acid-washed jeans that you wore in the 80s, twenty or so shirts in every shade of brown, fifteen pairs of black boots, dusty handbags, brand new clothes in plastic bags, and still complain that you don’t know what to wear for tomorrow? Dang! Can we have a show of hands here? haha! But seriously, revisiting my closet every now and then helped me curtail unnecessary spending on clothes. Gone are the days of haulin‘ because Forever 21 is running a sale. For one, I wear scrubs 6 days in a week; Second, I prefer timeless styles; Third, I prefer quality over quantity. Lastly, I’m too freakin’ old for Forever 21, haha! So how do you purge your closet then? TDS.
Toss old or dated items (bye acid-washed!)
Donate decent clothes to Dress for Success (or other associations) if Goodwill doesn’t interest you.
Sell in swap meets or online and earn money from “trash”!
(4) Next is my favorite way to spring-clean, purge friends! Tell me if you can relate: you open your Facebook only to read countless feed of rants from so-called friends who do nothing but complain, show-off, or spew hate. Then you have these real-life friends who only remember your goddam existence when they need something from you (husband issues, children issues, money issues, geez I’m no Mother Theresa!). So yes, call me heartless but I have purged my list many times over. I refuse to re-connect because I don’t want drama and invite negativity in my life. It’s a rude awakening but I wasn’t born to please anyone, let alone save anyone. Fooled twice and betrayed thrice, Sorry I’d rather help a stranger than a user-friendly friend. So there, welcome to my drama-free and happy life! I wish the same for you this year, we all deserve it!
(5) Pay off debts. Don’t we all strive for financial freedom? But see in the United States you need to be in debt to establish your identity a.k.a credit score. Your financial future depends on your credit history. While I love finer things in life, I’m not going to splurge on a $80k- Hermes bag and be in serious debt for x number of years. Hub and I have this mutual agreement– as long as we have roof on our heads, food on the table, decent transportation, retirement money, emergency cash fund, etc. we will not question each other how we use our extra money. It’s all about PRIORITIES. Having said that, it takes a great amount of discipline to be financially healthy. But if there’s a will, there’s a way. Trust me it can be done!
Ready to spring-clean?
’til our next chit-chat,
39 thoughts on “5 Ways to Spring-Clean Your Life”
I love these ideas! I clean the fridge out every time I go grocery shopping because I can't stand the idea of having the check the expiration date on everything before I eat. I'm the expiration date nazi too! I won't drink milk if it's going to expire tomorrow lol
Yay to that Justina! Same here, I'm kind of OC when it comes to expiry dates.
great list! I seriously need to do a full makeup revision, as I am sure I have more than enough expired products sitting in those dusty drawers.
now's the time Anastasia. I know as a blogger, our stuff can get of of control
One of my goals this year is to declutter my house. Today I threw out all my expired vitamins and supplements. Little steps 🙂
Great to know Lulubelle. It feels good to go home to a clutter-free house. Clutter can cause stress too.
Yes, great tips. I regularly – probably quarterly – go through my makeup drawers and purge. But I have lipsticks that are years old. I maintain them and I can continue using them. But I am not dumb about it, I wouldn't risk my health.
True that Judy. My mom is the lucky recipient of makeups I don't use anymore. No, they're not expired, haha!
I'm really bad at cleaning out the fridge. My bf always says "MIRANDA HOW LONG HAS THIS ___ BEEN IN HERE THROW IT OUT!!!!"
haha, I can hear your BF saying that now!
I love your post… your suggestions are inspiring, but most of all it's your wonderful attitude and positive outlook towards life!!!!! You go girl!!!!!!
Thanks so much Nathalie. You are one sweet lady. You know, this woman is just keeping it real. Hugs!!!
I've been trying to purge some of my makeup and toss or sell the items I don't use and know others might enjoy. Thanks for the reminder and tips!
Thanks Mai. We're here to remind each other.
It's the pantry that kills me. Twice a year I make myself dive in and throw out things that I never used.
LOL on the pantry. Sometimes I feel guilty by throwing a lot. But it also serves as a reminder not to hoard, haha!
Fun post! I agree with ditching the Facebook drama – FB is fun for me, no drama! And thank you for saying out loud what I think we all experience but don't talk about – if that makeup is sentimental – don't feel bad in keeping it, displaying it, or tucking it back in the back to savor once in a while… but don't use it if it's gross.
Thanks Nidia. I have some makeups too that I can't throw because of sentimental reasons but the adulation ends there. I won't risk eye infection.
Fun post! I totally agree about Facebook haters. Facebook is fun, no drama! And thanks for saying what no one says – if that makeup is sentimental – keep it, display it, tuck it back in the drawer to bring out to savor – but if it's gross, don't use it!
I love your tips they're all so helpful!
thanks Farryn! Have a great day!
You want me to start thinking about spring cleaning???!!! Eeps! Maybe I'll start now and just sllllooowwwwllly build up. 🙂 Great ideas!!!
Hahaha. If there's a will there's a way
My husband and I don't question each other's purchases either. We are responsible and get the bills paid, etc. Love your list lady! Great advice!
That's good to know Laura. As the saying goes, happy wife happy life, haha!
I'm good about everything on your list except getting rid of old clothes and crappy friends. It's really difficult to get rid of a friend who just brings you down especially when you are their only friend!
Great post! I love Dawson! 🙂
Thanks much. Just don't let that friend's negativity drown you. There's a reason why you are the only friend.
I'm good about cleaning the fridge but I'm terrible about cleaning my closet. I really need to get to it too.
You can do it my friend!
Awesome tips but my favorite part of this is Dawson Leery crying bahahahaha!
hahaha, I thought so too!!!
I go through my wardrobe once a year and anything I haven't worn in the last two years gets chucked, unless it's winter clothes and I haven't been anywhere cold or something. Great ideas, especially about Facebook!
Thanks much. Facebook is no fun when you rants and hate speech
hahaha, I thought so too!
Sing it, sister! I am in total agreement with you. I'm always looking for what I can purge, and it always feels great afterwards!
Amen! It's like that feeling after constipation then pfffft… SUCCESS!! Haha, what a correlation.
LMAO I love your photos… memes are my fave. *hugs my lipsticks close to me* that being said…. nonono I don't wanna give them up lol