I have always believed that “Prevention is better than cure”. Although I still get anxious lying on the examination bed or sometimes impatient waiting for the results, I know that these tests are not to be ignored. If you are over 18 years old, the following are health screening guidelines every woman should be mindful about:
* If you have family history of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, kidney disease, etc., you should be more proactive with health screening. It really saves lives! Remember, these are only guidelines, consult your doctor for more details *
1. Pap Smear (Cervical cancer screening): Once every three years for 21 years old and above or if you are younger than 21 but sexually active
2. Mammogram (Breast cancer screening): Discuss with your doctor if you are at least 40 years old; At age 50-75, get screened every two years.
3.Bone mineral density (Osteoporosis screening): Discuss with doctor if you are at least 50 years old. Once a year if 65 and older.
4.Blood pressure test (Hypertension screening): Starting at 18 y/o, get screened every two years if your blood pressure is normal (120/80); Once a year if your blood pressure is higher than 120/80 or upto 139/89. Treatment is necessary when your BP reaches 140/90 or higher.
5. Sexually transmitted diseases (STD): Chlamydia, Syphilis, HIV, Gonorrhea: Get tested at any age if you are sexually active, pregnant or not pregnant.
6. Diabetes: If you are 45 y/o, get screened every three years; If you are overweight and over 45 y/o, you need to get tested more regularly; If you are below 45 y/o, overweight and have more than one of the risk factors listed below, get tested now:
- Family history- parents and siblings
- High blood pressure 140/90 or higher
- High cholesterol 240mg/dl or higher
- Had diabetes when you were pregnant or if you have a baby with a birth weight of over 9 pounds
- Ethnicity (these races are at higher risk: African-American,Hispanic-American,Asian-American,Pacific Islander,American-Indian)
- Sedentary lifestyle
Health is the best gift we can give ourselves and loved ones. Love life!
|Time for us to get rollin’|