The 1950s- era is all about glamor and sophistication. Think Marilyn Monroe and Bettie Page who popularized the iconic cat eyes and full red lips.
This tutorial was inspired by a fab friend who is attending a 50s-themed event. She wants a makeup that will not mature her or look overly done. This is a simple makeup, and in fact one of my favorite to-go look. Since you will be wearing red lipstick, it is important to exfoliate and moisturize your lips prior to makeup application. Read my previous blog on how to make your own lip scrub using your pantry supplies. Click here.
1. Prep your face. Wash face with gentle cleanser, follow up with toner and moisturizer. Allow at least 10 minutes interval before putting on foundation. This is to allow the moisturizer to do its function.
2. Apply face primer. Skip if you don’t own one. Face primer provides a flawless canvass for makeup application. It also helps control shine and prevent wilting of makeup.
3. Apply liquid foundation using clean fingertips, sponge or brush. I prefer to use brush for an airbrushed, flawless finish. Dab concealer under eyes if you have dark under eye circles.
4. Apply eye primer over eyelids up to brow bone. Skip if you don’t own one. But I highly suggest using this to prevent unsightly creasing and smudging of eye makeup.
5. For the eyeshadow, apply nude shade over eyelids up to brow bone. Using small angled brush, line upper lash line with black eye shadow. Line thickly. Repeat process until you are satisfied with the thickness. I did mine three times. Line your upper lash line with liquid eyeliner, creating a wing effect on the outer corner of the eye. To brighten your eyes, line your lower lash line/ water line with white eye pencil. Apply nude shimmer in the arch area of brow bone.
6. Curl your eyelash. Apply 3-4 coats of black mascara. (Optional) wear thick fake eyelashes.
7. Line and fill your lips with red lip liner. Apply red lip stick. If you want a matte look, lightly brush powder over lips. If you want shimmer, apply clear lip gloss.
8. Apply rosy pink blush -on. Smile to locate apple of cheeks. Don’t overdo the blush -on, just a hint of color is perfect enough.
9. Seal makeup with mineral veil. If you don’t have this, use your pressed powder. With a face brush, gently brush powder over face.
10. (Optional). For added shimmer on cheekbone, dab shimmer powder.
Here’s my 1950’s- inspired rendition…
|Cat eyes and red lips.
Click image to zoom.
And here are the makeups I used. These are for illustration purposes only.Feel free to use your own supplies.
|1 Wet n Wild Icon Eyeshadow Pallet (a) Nude (b) black (c) Nude shimmer 2 Wet n Wild White Eyeliner 3 L’Oreal liquid eyeliner 4 Too Faced BlackMascara
Click image to zoom.
|Wet n Wild Red Lip liner, Mac Russian Red Lipstick|
|Estee Lauder Holiday Collection|
OPTIONAL. Mineral Veil and Shimmer
|Benefit High Beam for shimmer on cheekbone. Bare Minerals Veil to lock makeup|
Here are some more photos for reference…
Look fab today. When wearing red lipstick, go easy and classy on the eyes.
*Get inspired* “Self-pity is the enemy to self-worth. When you allow the former to consume your life, your worth depreciates.”- Fab Kath