In two weeks, we are welcoming 2011. Such perfect timing to review contents of our dresser and /or closet. Rummaging through piles of makeups and other what-have-yous we have stashed, which ones do we keep or throw? Oh, I just love this YSL lipstick I got from my mom two years ago. And this Urban decay eye shadow pallette I got last year. And this mascara my friend gave me as birthday present. And so on. I just love them all I couldn’t depart from them. If you have separation anxiety with makeups like me, you’re not alone.
But think again. As in food and medicines, even makeups have a shelf life. It’s made for a reason. Frequent use exposes your makeup to bacteria. They multiply more when you share them with your girlfriends (of course! I consider makeups like personal property. You don’t share toothbrush even with your hubby). Some makeup artists have a way to disinfect them which I will gladly share in a separate blog.
In general, anything that smells funky and looks moldy should be thrown away. No- brainer. Here’s when you should keep or toss:
- Lipstick: Two years. Experts suggest storing them in fridge to make them last even longer.
- Foundation: Water based foundation last for a year. Oil-based for two years.
- Mascara: Four months. Throw after that. The countdown begins as soon as you open the packaging.
- Eyeliner: Two years. Sharpen regularly.
- Blush, Eyeshadow, Powder: Two years
- Concealer: One year
- Brush: Wash twice or once a month with mild detergent or shampoo. Throw when bristles start to fall. The secret to makeup application is a good blending brush.
- Sponge: Wash weekly and throw monthly. Use disposable instead.
Like I said, this is just a guide. There is no hard and fast rule. Since mascaras have the shortest life span, I just buy drugstore brands like L’Oreal, Maybelline, Almay, and Revlon. I invest more on foundation because I need a good lasting coverage without clogging my pores. I wash my brushes weekly. I start with a clean canvass by washing my face, toning and priming it. So there you go ladies!
Look fab today. Old and expired makeup ain’t fab!