My right hand's middle and ring fingers are brittle and weak. Aside from my obsessive hand washing, I attribute it to my DIY jewelry-making. I'm no nail expert by any means so when I had the opportunity to try a natural alternative to address my dilemma, a glimmer of hope resurfaced.
1-2-3 Healthy Nail Fortifier is the brainchild of Becky Bell (Founder) who had sensitive skin and weak nails throughout her adult life. "I wanted to correct my nail problem without irritating my sensitive skin. I tried every product that I could find that promised to strengthen my nails. Unfortunately, I was always disappointed in the results. I was also frequently concerned about the potentially harsh chemicals that were involved. I wanted a natural, healthy solution, but couldn’t find one."
I received a kit that includes a nail fortifier (28 g), buffing file, sharpener, white pencil and how-to instructions. Don't laugh at me! I thought it was a back- to- school promo set, what with the pencil & sharpener.
Without sounding redundant, 1-2-3 Healthy Nails Fortifier involves three steps to achieving healthy nails.
(1) File- Weekly (before shower or bath). The buffing file is numbered from 1-6. According to the instruction, buff the flat surface of your nails until they are smooth. This method opens the nail matrix to absorb the fortifier. Then follow through 1-6.
(2) Fortifier- Daily. Dab the cream onto each nails within 3 minutes after morning or shower. Apply again in the evening. If your nails are damaged, use the cream right after you wash your hands throughout the day,
(3) Pencil- Daily. Dampen white pencil and stroke under your nail tip daily. This results to a natural-looking French manicure.
Honestly, the instructions made me cringe. I don't want elaborate rules simply because I have no extra time in my hands. But no pain no gain - so that was my motivation in the last three weeks I've been using this stuff. Not to a T but close to. Here's what I have done instead:
(1) Filed every two days because the buffing file included in the kit, although a 'lil damaged, did a good job of reshaping my nails. In fact, I haven't cut my nails with a trimmer since I used this.
(2) Used fortifier before I shower, and since I bathe twice a day, I covered the recommended frequency. You wonder why before and not after shower? The concoction has a chalky scent, it's not awful but it isn't the best either. I'll call it acquired scent- it takes sometime before you get used to it. So I'm wild-guessing it could be from the combination of all natural ingredients.
(3) Pencil- This method is akin to fidgeting, it's like popping a bubble wrap. You know, something you do when you're bored in the office or nervous during a meeting. Am not trying to be funny, but that's how I felt when I penciled my nails for over a week. I gave up so I didn't achieve the natural french manicure. I also wear nail polish most of the time so I failed on this department.
Despite my so-called stubbornness, my two weak nails had some improvement. They don't break easily now, thankfully! I think for the most part, the constant buffing did help a lot. I just wish that the cream's scent can be more appealing without losing its natural component. Something like vanilla or pistachio or even coconut, nom! Happy that this brand is cruelty-free. If you want to take a break from traditional store-bought brands and/or switch to natural, you might want to check out this product.
1-2-3 Healthy Nails Fortifier is exclusively sold online (for now). The entire kit is on sale for $29.95 which includes Free Shipping.
How do you keep your nails strong? Share some love!
*Products sent for consideration. My opinion is uncensored. Links for reference only*